Turbo Business Pro Headline Animator

Friday, August 26, 2011

Great Questions Regarding Premium List Dog Shows
http://bit.ly/pEnfaP

Charles asks?

What is a fun run at dog shows?

I'm planning in showing in conformation&juniors at a Shawnee, OK show. On the premium list it said "All-breed fun run" What is that?
http://bit.ly/nUkrdY#page=16
That's where it said.
I thought it had to do with loure-coursing.
So can i do it with a papillon?
I am not calling, I have very bad social problems.

Larry McCann answers:

Actually it specifically refers to lure coursing. A fun run in this situation would be where any breed (even not sight hounds) can run - for fun - typically there is a fee.

Indian Nations Basenji Club are good folks. If you have a question call the name and phone number related to that.

Donna asks?

AKC Show Premium List - confusing?

So, I'm showing in the bred-by class, and I was looking through the premium list and it said this:

"FRIDAY - BRED-BY-EXHIBITOR
BREED?GROUP?BEST IN SHOW
Competition is offered for dogs & bitches entered and exhibited in the bred-by-exhibitor classes to
compete for Best of Breed Bred-By-Exhibitor through Best in Show Bred-By-Exhibitor. Dogs that win
Best of Breed or Best of Winners in the regular conformation classes are automatically Best of Breed Bred-By-Exhibitor."

When they say "Dogs that win Best of Breed or Best of Winners in the regular conformation classes are automatically Best of Breed Bred-By-Exhibitor" I really get confused there... I know they mean any dog that gets BOW/BOB from the BRED-BY class is auto. best Bred-By. But, at first anyone could probably think "If a dog or b!tch from the American Bred or Open class goes BOW or BOB it is automatically best Bred-By"

So, my question, if anyone could get confused on that, why do they have it worded like that? Why don't they say "If a dog or b!tch goes BOW or BOB from the bred-by class, it is best Bred-By"?
I haven't shown under any of these judges yet, and I'm just showing in bred-by Friday and Puppy Saturday for the dogs' experience.

Larry McCann answers:

They worded it very poorly. What a silly mistake.

But, maybe most people are like me, and barely read premiums. I flip it open, skip to judges, decide if I like the judges or not, and that's about it. XD

Add:
Well, good luck. Hope you bring some points home.

Mandy asks?

In which of the following would you find information such as directions to a local dog show?

A) Show catalog
B) AKC registration
C) Premium list
D) The AKC Gazette

Larry McCann answers:

It is normally in the show schedule

Betty asks?

Is there some kind of list that insurance companies use (for home insurance).....?

to rate breeds of dogs before issuing a policy to you? Is this listed on line? I have some friends that have Pits and Rotties and their insurance it higher because of the dogs they own...but these dogs are wonderful, no aggression issues and they have obedience, CD, CGC titles for their dogs...

I have a Husky and a Bernese Mtn dog...are these breeds on the 'bad' list?

If your breed is listed on the 'bad' list, shouldn't the insurance company look at the 'dog' itself instead of the breed? Why should I pay a higher premium if my dog has Obedience, Show titles etc...Should the insurance companies at least LOOK at the titles that the dogs have? The AKC doesn't just 'hand' out titles to dogs. They have to EARN them thru hard work between the owner and dog.

Your thoughts?

Larry McCann answers:

It is a shame, but it seems to be a case of the "good" owners having to pay because of the "bad" owners. I can understand the insurance company's refusal to consider AKC titles because it's not the AKC that will have to pay a claim if a situation arises...

William asks?

Do you think breeder contracts are fair?

So, I've been looking for a puppy and I've noticed that a lot of breeders now make you sign a contract. Some of them are great because they simply list things such as the puppy will be well-cared for, not abused, and if the owner gives up the puppy at any time, the breeder gets him/her back. A lot also have spay-neuter contracts for dogs who will be strictly pets, which isn't too bad. But I've noticed others are pretty demanding. Some restrict the foods you can feed it. I've even seen one that listed several "premium" foods you couldn't use and some of them even make you agree to an all-natural diet. Others mandate that you name the dog like "Kennels' dog," which seems a little ridiculous. I mean, the dog is mine now, not theirs anymore. Why should I name him/her as if he's theirs, especially if he'll just be a pet and not a show dog or a breeder? So what are your thoughts on these contracts? Do you think they are fair? What parts do you agree/disagree with?
Oh and don't worry, I don't plan on buying a puppy from any of them. I'm just curious to see if everyone thinks some of the contracts (and breeders) are a little crazy like I do.

Larry McCann answers:

Every breeder is different. As a breeder of Standard Poodles, I wanted my clients to agree to the first 3 things you listed.
The food issue is to make sure your pup is getting all the nutrients it needs for healthy growth. The all natural diet is for your pets health. You should feed your pup as you like, however foods that have many "fillers" are not good for your dog. Plus you have more yard waste. I usually give samples of CANIDAE with my pups. It is an all natural diet including chicken, rice and vitamins, that's it. Your dog doesn't need extra fillers that could cause allergies, etc.
The "kennel name" thing is one I never insisted on yet I would explain it to my clients. What they mean by the name is when you register the dog with the AKC, you also get your dog's lineage. For example, My kennel name is "Dallion". So you have thirty spaces on the form you send in to give the dog a paper name. So maybe a client would decide on a favorable name such as "Dallion's Cleopatra". They would have selected the name based on the breeding line. In one instance they did call the female "Cleo". But you can decide what to name your dog. The pedigree is to show the lineage with the AKC and nothing more. I just purchased a new pup from Ohio. He came from High Hope Acres. So I named him
High Hope's Merlin's Magic. He goes by Merlin.
So don't worry about the name. Once you get the papers, it will be up to you. It's just that if the dog comes from a long line of Champions in the ring and you give him the Kennel name, it also proves what line he comes from. I hope this helps!

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

@foursquare @identi @meme
-- take note! --
PLR Articles ? 200 New PLR Articles for Only $5
http://ping.fm/stTq5

No comments: